Mattress Shopping Tips From Serta®
You’ll spend a third of your life in bed, so your mattress plays a vital role in the quality of your health and well-being.
Buying a mattress is a decision that you should think about carefully. Since most people replace their mattress every seven to ten years, you’ll have to live with your decision for a long time. For most people, comfort is the most important factor with support and durability close behind. When it comes to comfort, there is no right and wrong. Only what’s right for you. It’s worth the time and effort to find out which Serta mattress will best suit your needs.
How do you know when it’s time to replace your mattress?
Check your sleep set for the following symptoms to see if it’s time to replace your mattress set.
- A valley has developed in the section of the mattress where you sleep
- Sagging across the middle third of the mattress or along the sides
- makes you roll toward your partner
- The mattress makes creaking noises
- Soft, non-supportive edges are a sign of edge breakdown
- You’re waking up sore or stiff in the morning
- You’ve developed recurring back pain
- Your current mattress is 7-10 or more years old
- Are you getting the rest you could be? Check yourself for the following symptoms – if you have even one or two, a new mattress may help.
- Always tired in the morning
- Have constant difficulty getting out of bed
- In need of a nap during the day
- Unable to concentrate
- Not sleeping well. Poor sleeping habits or sleep deprivation is usually the first sign of a low-quality or older mattress
Thousands of beds, how do you choose?
- When picking out bedroom furniture, people tend to think more about what type of bed frame to buy instead of the mattress. There are literally thousands of mattresses to choose from, which can make choosing one a confusing task. Use these handy tips as a guide to help you through your buying experience so you are able to make the best mattress choice possible.
What should you consider when buying a mattress?
Comfort, support and durability are the most important factors to look for first. After that, take price into consideration.
What’s the best way to shop for mattresses?
Assess your needs before you start shopping by answering these questions:
- Has your lifestyle changed since buying your last mattress?
- Has your body changed in ways that affect your need for support or your comfort preferences?
- How much space do you have?
- Does your partner have the same needs?
How do you test a mattress?
- Remove your shoes and lie on the bed
- Lie down in several different positions, especially the one you sleep in
- Pay close attention to lower back support and postural alignment, and make sure you feel plenty of comfort at the shoulders and hips
- Shop with your partner so the selection of your new bed is made together
Do brand names matter?
It’s wise to purchase a well-known and trustworthy brand-one that’s earned a solid reputation with consumers over a number of decades. Serta has been making the World’s Best Mattress™for more than 75 years. We are a global company dedicated to delivering the highest quality products to our customers.
How much should you spend on a mattress?
Buy the best mattress that’s within your budget. Remember, the average buying cycle for a mattress today is between 7 and 10 years. For a mattress that costs $1,000, this comes out to approximately 27 cents a day. Serta is proud to offer quality mattresses to fit every budget.
Do you need a warranty with a mattress?
- Yes. However, the warranty is there to protect the customer from manufacturing defects, not against the normal wear from regular use. It is also not an indicator of how long the product should be used before replacement.
Should you put a new mattress on an old box spring?
Never put a new mattress on an old foundation. A mattress is designed to work best with its companion foundation. Mismatched sets can affect overall comfort and support. In fact, buying a mattress without its matching foundation may even affect the terms of the warranty. Plus, it is important to the safety of you and your family to ensure that both pieces of the sleep set meet or exceed federal flammability standards, and the best way to do so is to buy the set.
Is it okay to pass your mattress along to your children?
It is not recommended to pass along a used and worn mattress to your children whose active, developing bodies require the support of a good, quality mattress. If the bed is no longer good enough for you, it’s not good enough for anybody else.
What to consider when mattress shopping.
When shopping for a new mattress, your goal is to find a sleep set that offers you the optimum comfort, support and durability – and still be within your budget.
Use this Mattress Shopping Guide to make sure you choose a mattress that’s best for you.
Modern foams and fibers used in today’s premium mattresses offer a variety of comfort options for every type of sleeper. Because comfort is personal, the best way to find out if a mattress is comfortable for you is the old-fashioned way; try it out in the store.
The best mattress for your back is one that supports your spine at all points while allowing it to maintain its natural curve. All Serta mattresses feature today’s most advanced and durable innerspring systems, designed to provide proper spinal support throughout the night.
Today’s sleep sets are very durable and built to last. But it’s important to remember that mattresses today are designed as a set – the mattress plus the foundation (box spring)
Together, a new mattress and foundation will provide the best sleep set performance. Don’t try to replace just a mattress or foundation!
Considering that most people sleep better when a partner isn’t crowding them, you should buy the largest size mattress that fits your bedroom and your budget. Mattresses come in six standard sizes: twin, twin XL, full, queen, king and cal king. See our Standard Size Chart to find the one that’s right for you. Size availability will vary by retailer, mattress collection and comfort options.
Always make sure your new Serta sleep set comes with a warranty that protects you against manufacturer defects. Do not purchase bedding “as is” and always make sure your Serta product has its law tag attached. Keep a copy of your Serta warranty brochure on file for reference.
If you feel confused when shopping for a mattress, ask one of our retail sales associates or Ask Serta. Either way, you’ll get help making sense of your options.